Four letter word

There are a lot of taboo words in society, usually in type they are expressed in the following format: sh&t, f*&k, etc, etc. The word that we don't usually see changed for correctness is the word help. Such a simple 4 letter word, one that is not taboo, but one that is so hard to vocalize.

I find myself stricken with the stomach flu, and a day later my sweet boy cannot escape the same fate as me. For 4 days the baby cries and there is nothing I can do to alleviate the pain that he is feeling from the virus that has invaded his body. I'm sleep deprived ( more than normal ), still struggling with eating solid food and home alone as my husband has returned to work. It took a day and a half, but finally I succumbed and asked for help. I called Chris, fighting back tears and he came home from work. And then I called my mom...

Why, oh why didn't I do this sooner? Why did I think I had to do this all by myself? Why did I think that asking for help made me less of a mom? Pride? Perhaps. Perfectionism? Also a good contender.

But do you know what I realized after spending time with my mom? I realized that asking for help wasn't giving up, but that I could be a better mom if I accepted the help of others. I understood that I don't have to do it all by myself and that maybe Hillary was right when she said "it takes a village". I didn't need to seclude myself on an island of pride and stubbornness, because the world where I could more adequately care for my son is a much better place to live.
Relinquishing control is not something I am good at, but it is something I am practicing now on a regular basis. Life truly is a journey, and it's much easier when you take the trip with those that love and support you. So taking a pit stop to ask for help still gets me to my destination, and it makes the trip more enjoyable for everyone.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to start..

Grief